birding-aus

Spotting scopes

To: "Brian Johnson" <>
Subject: Spotting scopes
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 18:41:52 +1100
Brian

I have a Kowa TSN823 which is great but heavy for taking around on planes -
as you also need a heavy tripod as well. Recently bought a small Nikon which
is good and much easier to carry.

Main considerations are your budget and whether you will carry it a long
distance (or fly with it). I suggest Kowa, Nikon, Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica
all make good scopes.

Don't be fooled by too much zoom - it is a rare day when you need more than
20x - you need perfect conditions and a solid tripod. But zoom is useful for
quickly scanning an area and then getting closer to what you are interested
in. Fixed mag lenses may be of higher quality but are probably harder to
use.

Best advice is probably to go to a shop that stocks a few brands and try
them - what works for one person does not for another.

Dave