birding-aus

white form of Lemuroid Ringtail Possum extinct?

To: "Graham Turner" <>, "Baus" <>
Subject: white form of Lemuroid Ringtail Possum extinct?
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 13:44:21 +1000
Graham,
"I also know that repeated spotlighting at one location often shows a pattern
of decreasing numbers." This has not been my experience.

At my site where I have been operating nocturnal tours for 5.5 years, the sightings of Coppery Brushtail Possums has remained constant, Green Ringtail sightings have steadily increased while Lumholtz's Tree-roo sightings first went up but are now lower. The cyclone and loss of habitat is one likely reason for the decline as those females with very small territories have moved. there has also been social disruption. The new dominant male in the main part of the walk is not so habituated. One of my long term reliable females has been replaced by another female who while tolerant of the spotlight does not spend as much time feeding in visible areas.

At Mt Hypipamee sighting numbers have also varied little except for coppery Brushtails. In the 80's there was a couple who would go there on a nightly basis to feed the possums. the numbers increased beyond the natural carrying capacity of the area. Once they were stopped from doing this and the bins were fitted with possum proof lids things changed. The population did not return to normal but crashed to the extent that seeing brushtails was almost a non event. The population has now reached what I would call normal levels.

Regarding spotlights causing damage of even a temporary nature to eyes I would be most surprised. I have watched animals closely. they have very responsive pupils and can carry on normally, if not feeling threatened, with a spotlight in their faces and then when it is removed. I am not suggesting that care should not be taken to safeguard the welfare of the animals. However I have had to disadvantage very few guests to care for the octurnal mammals I show them.
Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours
2 Mather Road