birding-aus

Bird with Red bottletop around beak/head identified

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Bird with Red bottletop around beak/head identified
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2008 11:00:50 +1100
I've always cut rings! (flexing +patience or stretching, brute force and NOT
patience will also acheive same result!)
I am sure I found litreature on a campaigns (to protect Bower Birds etc)
like this in Gippsland? and/other places when researching topic years ago. I
guess the bottles that firmy keep hold of the ring, like most I meet
nowadays, are a nearly as good option for lazy majotity of consumers. I have
had the tear-as-open rings here in Vic in the past, but not for  a while. I
bet 'neatness whingers' had them replaced
As with so many things, squeeky wheels will get what they want - if enough
bird lovers/conservationists complain we may get some change for the better.
Pictures to the media of afflicted birds is a very good idea.
Waterfowl have problems with similar larger rings, often arriving in urban
stormwater to waterways. And there are of course those rotten rubber bands,
(that fortunately do seem to deteriorate pretty quickly) dropped
everywhere - often by posties!! AND those pretty useless (for hair) elastic
+ metal clamp multicoloured hair ties - I see LOTS of them dropped about
too!
wendy