birding-aus

Bird with Red bottletop around beak/head identified

To: <>, <>
Subject: Bird with Red bottletop around beak/head identified
From: inger vandyke <>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 08:46:28 +0000
Hi Rob,If anyone got a photo of this bird I'd love to see it.  I am another
cutter of milk and other bottle rings but because I have seen them wrapped
around seabird necks which makes me angry to the point of stepping outside my
personality.Great Bowerbirds have a taste for white and pink I think?  I have
seen them with some green bits and pieces but white seems to be the
predominant.  If you ever want to see some interesting footage on Bowerbirds,
David Attenborough did a documentary with the assistance of the Friths on the
Bowerbirds of Australia.  There was some great shots of Great Bowerbirds
pilfering stuff out of children's playgrounds and from a cemetery which I
believe was shot in Townsville - just up the road from this bird.I was a bit
surprised but saddened at the same time to hear that this had happened to a
Bowerbird as they are some of my favourite birds in Australia - if a little
obsessive/compulsive.:-)  Inger> Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 00:27:12 -0800> From:
> Subject: RE: [Birding-Aus] Bird with Red bottletop around
beak/head identified> To: > > --- On Wed, 11/19/08,
Kurtis Lindsay <> wrote:>> What a lucky bird to have
survived this long! It's a>> sad fact that many Bowerbirds especially Satin
and>> Great Bowerbirds perish from getting plastic>> caught around their heads
or necks.> > And it could be easily prevented in the case of Satin Bowerbirds
simply by avoiding shades of blue that they're attracted to.  Do Great
Bowerbirds have particular colour preferences?  I've only seen Satin Bowerbird