birding-aus

Bird with Red bottletop around beak/head identified

To: "'desley williams'" <>
Subject: Bird with Red bottletop around beak/head identified
From: "Kurtis Lindsay" <>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2008 12:59:02 +1100
Hi all,

What a lucky bird to have survived this long! It's a sad fact that many
Bowerbirds especially Satin and Great Bowerbirds perish from getting plastic
caught around their heads or necks. The most common scenario is when the
ring from around a plastic bottle top gets caught around the birds neck and
essentially chokes it to death.
Not much can be done to stop this from occurring other than cutting all
plastic rings in half before disposing them, especially if you know there
are Bowerbirds about.
It sounds trivial and although plastic rings don't have a serious impact on
Bowerbird populations (not to my knowledge anyway), there is no harm in
performing this simple task to help reduce chance of this occurring to one
of the Bowerbirds in your local area.

Regards,

Kurtis Lindsay