birding-aus

Orange bellied Fruit Dove sighting in morningside Brisbane

To: "Rohan Clarke" <>
Subject: Orange bellied Fruit Dove sighting in morningside Brisbane
From: "Belinda Cassidy" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2008 14:42:01 +1000
Hi Rohan,

Yes, that him, there's no question. The green colour is just right (we
thought is was like  the green of a scaly breasted lorikeet )  as well as
the deep orange-red on the lower belly. The colours were marked & distinct,
just like in your photos. The bird was so small, it was like a  tiny quail
in a tree. The size and shape first caught our attention, that was until we
saw the stunning colours when it perched close by.

We observed it in almost identical lighting, sitting on a  dead branch. My
partner just had a look at your pictures and said that he is certain about
it.

With regards to the vegetation in the area, we found it first in the upper
foliage of small wattle tree. It then flew onto a dead branch to look at us,
a bit shyly but also curious, and became settled by the tone of voice I was
using (I think).

There's  a lot of huge lilly Pillys in the surrounding area, attracting the
fig birds. I had a look around them today, but I could nly see fig birds in
the leaves. We have never seen any other fruit doves in the area.

Thanks a lot for showing me the pictures. I will still remain open with the
ID but I can't see how the pair of could be both mistaken?