birding-aus

My bird name guide.....(don't read if picky)

To: birding australia <>
Subject: My bird name guide.....(don't read if picky)
From: Grant Brosie <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2008 04:28:37 -0700 (PDT)
Everyone,

I've been birding for around 15yrs now but being only 25 you'd think I'd know
better. The following are 'other' names and abbreviations I use.

Bush Turkey =  Aust. Brush Turkey

Aust. = Australian

Jabiru = Black-necked Stork (sorry Greg, hard habit to kick)

Sacred Ibis = Aust. White Ibis

Marshie = Swamp Harrier

Marshie = Marsh Sandpiper (these two can get very confusing on Ash Island)

Ash Island = An island found in the Hunter River Estuary, 5-10km west of the
Newcastle CBD, 1.5hrs north of Sydney, NSW, Australia.

Sea Gull = Silver Gull

Feral = Rock Dove

Crimson-wing = Red-winged Parrot

F-w = Fairy-wren

White-rumped Miner = What a great name for Yellow-throated Miner

GST = Grey Shrike-thrush

BFCS = The famous Black-faced Cuckoo-shrike though I pronounce as 'boofcus'

Woodie = Woodswallow

Peewee = We all know that one

Reddie = Red-browed Finch

Bloods = Crimson Finch

Diamys = Not sure of spelling but its what I call Diamond Firetail

Spagga = House Sparrow

These are names I've picked up over the years or names that have come from the
avicultural side of me. Would love to hear some other names, especially local
names other birders know of.

Cheers,
Grant Brosie
Raworth