birding-aus

Ashmore Reef Whales and Seabirds

To: Tim Dolby <>, <>
Subject: Ashmore Reef Whales and Seabirds
From: Simon Mustoe <>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 05:19:00 +0000
Tim,

Thanks for the email. I think it is important that you bring this up and always
useful to discuss. The listservers are supposed to be for non-commercial
purposes but let's just consider that a little more.

I would never condone someone running trips and depending on birding-aus as a
primary form of marketing for a business but we also have to ask how much is
given  back to the community and what really does constitute a profit. Birds
Australia gets paid money by the government and private firms to do a lot of
valuable monitoring and very often promotes those expeditions through the
listserver. No doubt Birds Australia's reputation is helped but so too is the
community. The individuals who promote them in this case though, are paid a
salary.

As long as people are honest and don't take the proverbial, I can't really see
a problem. But I am always very conscious on my trips to ensure that whatever
is done results in a reasonable quality report that will have a lasting
positive impact. This is one of the reasons why I like the Ashmore trip. I
myself pay to go but I work my socks off doing the database stuff. Rohan Clarke
does likewise...he produced a valuable report on cetaceans last year. Mike
Carter does more work than anyone both reporting and writing up rarities,
planning and looking after people. If anyone doing half this kind of work gains
concession then so be it.

Let's consider a situation where someone does go for free (as I did on my Coral
Sea trip in 2006). The person is not making any money. Let's assume now that
they they make $3,000. Wow! Well, how far does that go to proving a "profit"
after about 20 days of organisation and then project leading on the trip? Truth
be told, charities also have to make money and pay themselves so their staff
can put food on the table for their families but they ultimately break even and
that is called "not for profit". Just because people who organise pelagics take
a cut does not necessarily make it commercial.

Finally, what would birding-aus lose if it were not for these people? Australia
is the world epicentre of pelagics and because about 1 in 100 people bother to
organise them. It's bloody hard work but worth it if you have the
determination. Take a cut, why not, you've earned it. If everyone got a
commercial provider to organise it and make a serious cut then the price would
jump suddenly very high and the market for pelagics would fall out. We'd lose
this wonderful opportunity.

Perhaps we should just support our pelagic trip heritage marketed over birding
aus, so long as they are clearly conservation-driven (i.e. not just a "twitch"
but an actual expedition looking to break new ground - like some of Richard
Baxter's frontier trips at the moment). If we can't afford to go on them
ourselves, our contribution in kind can be to spread the word amongst friends,
family and colleagues then take part in enjoying the fruits of other people's
labours and seeing what wonderful discoveries they come back with.

Regards,

Simon Mustoe.