birding-aus

State & Territory Lists - Introductions

To: Frank O'Connor <>, <>
Subject: State & Territory Lists - Introductions
From: Bill Jolly <>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:55:33 +1000
Schodde & Mason (1999) combined Sericornis magnirostris and S. beccarri, but
Christidis and Boles have shown them as separate in both their 1994 and 2008
taxonomies, ie Large-billed Scrubwren and Tropical Scrubwren respectively.

By the way, in the 2008 taxonomy C&B have corrected the Large-billed Scrubwren
binomial to S. magnirostra.
Bill Jolly

Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 13:55:41 +0900To: :
: [Birding-Aus] State & Territory Lists -
IntroductionsI forgot that Tropical Scrubwren is not listed.  Is this regarded
by some people as a sub species of something else?  Does someone have a species
number?PS : For Tim Dolby.  The book does not regard Night Parrot as extinct
for Victoria, so I have put this back in as a v, and so Victoria does have an
even 500 species.----------------------------------------Thanks for all the
help in putting these lists together.I have just purchased the "CSIRO List of
Australian Vertebrates, A Reference with Conservation Status" by Mark Clayton
et al.  It doesn't help a great deal as the information was available elsewhere
especially for the vagrants, but it does give some guidance on a few species
such as those I mentioned in NSW.  The big advantage is that it lists the
species numbers, and I have added this column to the spreadsheet.  It doesn't
include Pale-headed Rosella, and I couldn't easily pick which sub species this
is, and use the number for the sub species.  Does anyone have this number?  It
is possible this is being treated as the nominate Eastern Rosella and that
Pale-headed is 286 and Eastern should be 288?It includes a table of
"Introductions of native species in Australia and its territories".  It is
missing a few for WA, and includes Musk Lorikeet which I have never seen here.
It has a few others that I am wondering about :Emu (ACT).  Doesn't Emu occur
naturally in the ACT?  I have it as uncommon (and hence an x).Australian
Brush-turkey (SA).  Does anyone have these details, and do they still
exist?Gang-gang Cockatoo (SA).  Ditto.Laughing Kookaburra (Tas).  Does it occur
naturally in Tasmania (including islands such as Flinders), or are they all
introduced as in WA?It doesn't include Helmeted Guineafowl, Chukar Partridge or
Barbary Dove.  Does anyone have species numbers for these?Is there a species
number for Black-billed Magpie?  These are all assumed to be ship assisted, but
they are now on the main list.  House Crow does a number.The other species that
I am missing numbers for are either not officially on the list (but I included
them as possible), or they are recent additions to the list, Were Collared and
Vanuatu Petrels regarded as sub species of some other species?  In this case
they may have a number for the sub species.
          Birding WA http://birdingwa.iinet.net.auPhone : (08) 9386 5694
      Email :
Overpaid or Underpaid? Check our comprehensive Salary Centre
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent%2Emycareer%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fsalary%2Dcentre%3Fs%5Fcid%3D595810&_t=766724125&_r=Hotmail_Email_Tagline_MyCareer_Oct07&_m=EXT==============================www.birding-aus.org