birding-aus

State & Territory Lists - Introductions

To: Frank O'Connor <>, "birding aus" <>
Subject: State & Territory Lists - Introductions
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 17:44:23 +1100

Frank

I saw a Brush-turkey on Kangaroo Island in February 2006.  I understand
that they were introduced as part of a systematic but misguided program to
preserve endangered species and aren't present elsewhere in South
Australia.

Regards

David

             Frank O'Connor
             <
             et.au>                                                     To
             Sent by:
             birding-aus-bounc                                          cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       [Birding-Aus] State & Territory
             27/02/08 03:51 PM         Lists - Introductions

Thanks for all the help in putting these lists together.

I have just purchased the "CSIRO List of Australian Vertebrates, A
Reference with Conservation Status" by Mark Clayton et al.  It doesn't help
a great deal as the information was available elsewhere especially for the
vagrants, but it does give some guidance on a few species such as those I
mentioned in NSW.  The big advantage is that it lists the species numbers,
and I have added this column to the spreadsheet.  It doesn't include
Pale-headed Rosella, and I couldn't easily pick which sub species this is,
and use the number for the sub species.  Does anyone have this number?  It
is possible this is being treated as the nominate Eastern Rosella and that
Pale-headed is 286 and Eastern should be 288?

It includes a table of "Introductions of native species in Australia and
its territories".  It is missing a few for WA, and includes Musk Lorikeet
which I have never seen here.  It has a few others that I am wondering
about :

Emu (ACT).  Doesn't Emu occur naturally in the ACT?  I have it as uncommon
(and hence an x).

Australian Brush-turkey (SA).  Does anyone have these details, and do they
still exist?

Gang-gang Cockatoo (SA).  Ditto.

Laughing Kookaburra (Tas).  Does it occur naturally in Tasmania (including
islands such as Flinders), or are they all introduced as in WA?

It doesn't include Helmeted Guineafowl, Chukar Partridge or Barbary Dove.
Does anyone have species numbers for these?

Is there a species number for Black-billed Magpie?  These are all assumed
to be ship assisted, but they are now on the main list.  House Crow does a
number.

The other species that I am missing numbers for are either not officially
on the list (but I included them as possible), or they are recent additions
to the list, Were Collared and Vanuatu Petrels regarded as sub species of
some other species?  In this case they may have a number for the sub
species.

Any personal or sensitive information contained in this email and
attachments must be handled in accordance with the Victorian Information
Privacy Act 2000, the Health Records Act 2001 or the Privacy Act 1988
(Commonwealth), as applicable.

This email, including all attachments, is confidential.  If you are not the
intended recipient, you must not disclose, distribute, copy or use the
information contained in this email or attachments.  Any confidentiality or
privilege is not waived or lost because this email has been sent to you in
error.  If you have received it in error, please let us know by reply
email, delete it from your system and destroy any copies.