birding-aus

Birdstack

Subject: Birdstack
From: Clive Nealon <>
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 05:51:38 -0500
 Greetings,

There seems to have been much conjecture but little evidence that anyone
consulted the source.
In the book 'Birds of the World - Recommended English Names' the authors, Frank
Gill and Minturn Wright, state in their Introduction that 'This is not
primarily a taxonomic work.'
They then say that it 'supplements the third edition (Dickinson 2003) of Howard
and Moore's (H&M) Checklist of Birds of the World. We started with the world
list of Sibley and Monroe (1990). In the end, we adopted H&M as the taxonomic
reference for this work.'
They then went on to point out that a number of areas may see overhauls of
relationships and classification, but that they 'adhered to H&M's conservative
species taxonomy, unless committee chairs requested otherwise.'
For the record, the committee chair for Australasia was Richard Schodde.
There is much more of course, but I don't trust my typing skills too far, and I
would not like to misrepresent the book or the authors.

Regards, Clive.