birding-aus

Introduced plants and nurseries

To: <>, "Greg" <>
Subject: Introduced plants and nurseries
From: "Wendy" <>
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2007 16:00:05 +1100
It is also hard to predict the vectors too.
Canary Island (and other palms) have always been recognised for weed
potential. In recent years their weediness around here has really exploded.
It is amazing to look around Melbourne's Northern Suburbs (probably other
places but I'm not looking there) at the lawns of seedling palms.
These seeds constantly appear in my (mostly) natives planted naturestrip.
The vector?! Flying foxes. They seem to collect a whole lot of the fruits
then fly to another, quiet place to masticate them - e.g. my gum trees.
This is a weed vector we could never have imagined in Melbourne when I first
moved here about 30y ago!
Fortunately the urban lorikeets, which have appeared over the same period as
the FFoxes, are not a weed vector.
Wendy