birding-aus

Magpie Pica pica in Port Hedland WA

To: "peter crow" <>
Subject: Magpie Pica pica in Port Hedland WA
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 16:44:15 +1100
I hardly think recognising a Pica pica as being here encourages people to
accept introduced species - indeed I would take the opposite view in that I
have met birders who refuse to record introduced birds as they are not
"real" - and by thus ignoring them we fail to gather data about their
spread.

Assuming that the identification is in no doubt (and it hardly can be) there
would seem to be several possibilities - it came on a boat by accident, it
was introduced deliberately or it has got here as its range is expanding.
The first two are of little concern as a single bird is not going to cause
much destruction of the environment - the latter is interesting as if a bird
reaches here naturally and then others arrive and the numbers build up is
this a cause for concern? We probably should expect this to happen more in
future with "Climate change" (although admittedly Pica pica is an unlikely
candidate) and who are we to say "go away" - perhaps we should set up a
detention centre on Christmas Island for such illegal immigrants??

The only thing that is a real concern to me is the deliberate introduction
of a number of birds of an alien species such that they might breed up and
become a problem - hopefully we are over that by now (cane toad, common
myna......) but one can never be sure.