birding-aus

Re: Spotting scopes

To: <>
Subject: Re: Spotting scopes
From: "Andy Adcock" <>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:12:02 +0100
Apologies if this appears more than once but it keeps bouncing back?

Hi all,
it seems that we in the UK use scopes a lot more than you guys do for some reason so we all have our own experiences and opinions.

One point I haven't seen mentioned in this thread is a scopes performance in poor light conditions rather than simply the magnification. The size of the scope e.g 60mm, (mine is 78mm) decides how well the scope gathers available light and the wider the lens the better, crucial if watching a bird in poor or fading light.

Portability can be an issue to some and we use shoulder straps attached to our tripods which make the scope easier to carry, there is even a commercially available backpack type thing to carry a scope in.

Those who can afford to own two scopes will often have a smaller scope for foreign travel and a more lightweight tripod to go with it.

Regards, Andy.

Andy Adcock
19 Hooton Road
Carlton