birding-aus

Spotting scopes

To: "'Dave Torr'" <>, "'Peter Shute'" <>
Subject: Spotting scopes
From: "Tony Russell" <>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:17:04 +0930
Yes , I agree about the bird hides. I'd like to know who designs some of
the hides I've been in.( Orcs maybe ?). Quite often the viewing slots
and seats are at an uncomfortable height for using binoculars, ie,
nowhere to comfortably rest one's elbows at the height necessary for
squinting through the hide slots. And as for using a scope, well, one
has to have the scope at a height dictated by the hide  viewing slots
which is then at a back breaking height for anyone trying to squint
through the scope.  I often take my scope outside the hide to get a
decent view in a comfortable position. Having the scope on a non
extended tripod while sitting on a chair looking down at 45degs into the
eyepiece is the absolute best for long term viewing - and one can munch
on a sandwich at the same time.