birding-aus

Longest <English> bird name (and shortest)

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Longest <English> bird name (and shortest)
From: "John Leonard" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 21:37:03 +1000
The apostrophes in Hawaiian birds' names should be counted as letters
as they represent a definite sound, a glottal stop; the sound a
Cockney says when saying the word 'butter', 'bu'er'. And Hawaii should
be spelled Hawai'i.

I reckon the shortest bird name in English, rather than borrowed from
another language would have to be 'Tit'; used without qualification in
England to refer to the Blue Tit, as in "I see the Tits have been at
the milk bottles again'.

Oh, and Jay of course.

John Leonard

--