birding-aus

RFI striated fieldwren etc

To: "'Harvey Perkins'" <>
Subject: RFI striated fieldwren etc
From: "David Parker" <>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 20:25:40 +1000
Harvey,

Ben Boyd National Park, south of Eden is a good place to have a look for
both Striated Fieldwren and Hooded Plover. I was in the park back in
October last year. I observed Striated Fieldwren in the heath around the
Green Cape Lighthouse, while I observed Hooded Plover on the beach at
Saltwater Creek.  Both these locations I understand to be reliable spots
for the two species. The local parks office of visitor information
centre will be able to supply a map of the park.

Eden Harbour should supply you with views of Black-faced Cormorant,
though you may see this species at Green Cape also.

This was my second trip to Green Cape and Ben Boyd NP, the first was my
honeymoon during which time we spent a week staying at the lighthouse.
The scenery is spectacular and the birding is great.

Be on the lookout also for Ground Parrot - not that I have seen them
there, but the area is a known location for the species and the habitat
is perfect!

Always worth taking the spotting scope (if you have one) to Green Cape
as you may chance a group of Shearwaters or Albatross off the cape as I
did (unfortunately I did not have my scope).

Cheers
David Parker
Griffith NSW