birding-aus

RFI striated fieldwren etc

To: "Harvey Perkins" <>
Subject: RFI striated fieldwren etc
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2007 14:42:05 +1000
Harvey,

In terms of Mallacoota, I've found the most reliable site for Striated
Calamanthus is along the fence line at the Mallacoota aerodrome - particularly
the northern (Mallacoota side) section. From Bastian Point Rd take Betka Rd,
and then turn right into the track just before you get to the aeradrome
(there's a house on the corner). Drive along this until you reach the
northernmost edge/fence line of the aerodrome - and look along here.

A good spot for Hooded Plover is Mallacoota's Betka Beach (often near the river
mouth). Last year they nested in the most popular section of Betka Beach during
the peak tourist time. Also Little Ram Head (near the river mouth) is a good
spot, but is a bit of a walk in - and any of the other beaches in the area.

Black-faced Cormaorant can sometimes be seen roosting on man-made structures in
Mallacoota Inlet.

Good luck,

Tim Dolby