birding-aus

Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane

To: "Tony Russell" <>
Subject: Grey Butcherbird killings in Brisbane
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 15:24:09 +1000
That Magpies are common in almost all cities and I have never heard of this,
suggests it does hardly happen, if at all. They would probably find it hard for
two reasons, they don't have a hooked beak and they may have difficulties
hanging on the side of the cage, as they are a lot heavier. They do sometimes
chase other small birds but cases of magpie predation on other birds are rare.
I'd suggest Currawongs as more likely contenders than Magpies. They are all
closely related and it is all possible.

Philip