birding-aus

Black Noddy ethics

Subject: Black Noddy ethics
From: "John Graff" <>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2007 22:28:27 +1030
Mmmm, well its really up to you. I guess its similar to seeing a bird flying off and someone else who had a good look tells you what it is. If its a personal tick for your life list or state list etc, then its really whether or not you feel comfortable ticking it. If you're doing a survey or something, I'd put it down on the survey because it was obviously there (and similarly, if it was a new species for Oz or the state, I'd report it). I personally wouldn't tick it on my personal list if i didn't know it was there until I looked at the photo. However, if i saw an unknown bird, or for a specific example, a noddy and wasn't sure whether it was a Black one, photographed it and then ID'd it from the photo, then I'd count it. Interesting dilemma

Cheers
John Graff