birding-aus

Percentage of birders in Australia

To: "Sean Dooley" <>
Subject: Percentage of birders in Australia
From: "John Harris" <>
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2007 09:56:49 +1100
Sean,
Some of us committed bird watchers don't belong to any birding organisation.  I
chose to let my BOCA membership lapse, when i joined the Field Naturalists Club
as it catered for more of my needs and I could still birdwatch as well.

I agree with your statement about 40000 copies indicating a higher number of
watchers, even taking into account aal the libraries, schools etc that may have
bought one as well.  The other figure that is not considered in this
calculation is, all those who didn't buy a copy for whatever reason ( previous
copy, preference for other field guides etc....),  My only copy of Pizzey has
Doyle (?) as the illustrator and was bought back in the late 80's.

Maybe we could ask Jon Hall if he could throw some weight around at the ABS,
when he gets back from Paris (or whereever else he happens to get to) and get a
question on the next National Census about birdwatching.

Yours in all things "green"

Regards

John Harris
Secretary, Victorian Association for Environmental Education (VAEE)
Environmental Education Officer
Donvale Christian College
155 Tindals Rd Donvale 3111
0409 090 955

>>> "Sean Dooley" <> 02/17/07 10:54 am >>>
Cas,

But then again, my 1999 edition of Pizzey and Knight states on the cover
that 40,000 copies had been sold. So unless people bought multiple copies or
30,000 visiting overseas birders bought it, the actual figure may be higher
than my 10,000 estimate.