birding-aus

BA and BOCA

To: "Peter Shute" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>
Subject: BA and BOCA
From: "Tim Dolby" <>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2007 14:41:10 +1100
Hi Peter et al,

It's nice to see that the birding (aus) community is showing such a positive
interest in birds. Peter Shute asked about Birds Australia and BOCA, and what
they do. Here is a bit of a rundown about Birds Australia.

Birds Australia began life as the Royal Australasian Ornithologists Union
(RAOU) in 1901. We thought that title was a bit of a mouthful, so now we call
ourselves Birds Australia. BA is dedicated to the conservation, study and
enjoyment of Australia's native birds and their habitats. BA's web site is
http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au

Birds Australia represents Australian birdlife on a national and international
stage, working with scientists, wildlife managers, landholders and nature
lovers across the continent to study, monitor and protect our native birds and
their natural habitats. Birds Australia is currently working on a wide range of
Research and Conservation Projects see:

http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/projects/index.html

These include:

· Atlas of Australian Birds
· Birdata
· Bird Monitoring in NRM Regions
· Birds on Cotton Farms Project
· Broome Shorebird Disturbance Monitoring
· Carnabys Cockatoo Recovery Project
· Cheetham Wetlands Project 2
· Cowra Woodland Birds Program
· Identification of Important Shorebird Habitat
· Important Bird Areas (IBA) Project
· Management of Yellow Chat (Capricorn) habitats and identification of range on
the mainland
· Nest Record Scheme (NRS)
· NRM Bird-monitoring project
· North Head Bird Survey Project
· Oil Spill Response Atlas Project
· Orange-bellied Parrot mainland habitat research project
· Promoting Coexistence between Recreationists and Beach-Nesting Birds
· A Review of Shorebirds, Their Threats and Management Needs in Tasmania
· Threatened Bird Network (Victorian TBN Activities include Helmeted
Honeyeater, Hooded Plover, Painted Snipe, Superb Parrot surveys and recovery).
· West Australia Hooded Plover Project,
· You Yangs Boneseed Control

Support to is vital to Birds Australia. Without it the organisation cannot
afford to carry out this work, finding our why birds are in decline, and then
advising on and implementing practical and sustainable conservation solutions.
By becoming a Birds Australia member you are adding your voice to all those who
care for our natural environment.

The benefits of membership:

· The award-winning free quarterly membership magazine Wingspan
· Discounted subscription to our ornithological journal Emu
· Access to reserves at Gluepot and Newhaven
· Discounts on accommodation, education courses and tours
· The knowledge that you are helping us in our vital work conserving birdlife
across the continent

Birds Australia also has a strong regional presence. There are the regional
newsletters with local information on how and where to see wildlife and how to
get involved. There are the regional group activities. In Victoria BA organises
the BA Vic Port Fairy pelagic boat trip, campouts and favourite birding spot
day trips, surveys (such as Rushworth Banding Project, Devilbend, Eastern
Treatment Plant, Trust For Nature), speaker nights and is linked to the
Victoria Wader Study Group (VWSG). The Victorian regional group web page lists
many of these activities. See http://www.babblersnest.com. In Victoria and NSW
Birds Australia (in conjunction with Eremaea Birds) organises the Birdline
Victoria see http://www.eremaea.com

Please note that BA National Office will be moving to the Green Building 60
Leicester St Carlton, Vic in late February 2007. To contact BA:

Toll free 1300 730 075
Phone: (03) 9882 2622
Fax: (03) 9882 2677
Email: