birding-aus

Attracting birds with calls

Subject: Attracting birds with calls
From: David Stowe <>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2007 08:43:04 +1100
Hi all
This is very interesting. Surely if the use of playback is so evil then to use it for a threatened species would be the worst kind of evil??

No-one has really explained why it is OK to pish and whistle yet not play the recorded call. I have heard people imitate Brown Quail (for example) perfectly and i have personally had one run along a path toward me after a few whistles. Personally i can see both sides of the argument but this is a point no-one has yet answered.

Also no-one has scientifically explained why call playback is a no no. ( I ask this not as an argument but to learn!)

As Ricki said i would think that it is unlikely that a bird would cease to call because of it. They may not respond anymore but maybe they are smarter than we think and now know the commonly used CD or tape bird and know that there's nothing there when they come to it? (ie Rufous Scrub bird etc). Just because a bird no longer comes to a played call doesn't mean it has stopped calling or wouldn't come to a real bird.

If the call playback is indeed a territorial call and it gets a male bird all hot and bothered and comes out to challenge - when the bird comes out and the call is stopped surely he then wins the contest and perhaps even gets a better looking female!! Would it really place any more stress on the bird than pishing? Does a rival challenge actually "stress" birds or does it simply initiate a vigourous natural response? From my limited experience some birds seem to be simply inquisitive rather than stressed. Some play little attention full stop. Again if this "stress" is indeed harmful to birds then surely the use for a threatened species is unforgivable rather than easily forgiven?

I would love to be educated by some more science on the topic. Please don't misunderstand the point of my email.
Cheers
Dave Stowe

I think the only real place for play-back is in research, then only if it is not over used. I participated in surveys for Black-eared Miner on "Scotia" late last year using play-back, but when you are looking for about 15 birds in 60,000 Ha. of Mallee, perhaps using a bit of play-back could be forgiven.

Cheers,

Carl Clifford