birding-aus

Pelicans over Altona, Victoria

To: <>
Subject: Pelicans over Altona, Victoria
From: "Peter Shute (NUW)" <>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:56:17 +1000
By my calculations, a direction of exactly NE would bring them out 3km east of the tip, which is only 5km away. However, I hadn't taken into account that my street doesn't run exactly north-south. Looking at the Melways now, I think the direction is exactly right for the tip. Thanks very much for that. Now all I need to do to confirm it is to park near the tip for a while and watch them coming in.

I didn't know pelicans fed at tips. It would explain the bird that landed near me one evening and spent a few minutes trying unsuccessfully to dislodge something stuck in its throat.

Peter Shute