birding-aus

Pelicans over Altona, Victoria

Subject: Pelicans over Altona, Victoria
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 10:42:17 +1000
Hi Martin,

There were about 3 Pelicans in Breeding Plumage down at Balyang Sanctuary
in Geelong about a month ago.

I got a  photo of two of the birds which made me realise that i'd never
seen or paid attention to the markings of Pelicans  in breeding plumage
before.

A photo can be seen at the following link:

http://www.peterfuller.com.au/   --> Photo of the week --> 7th August 2006

My hunch would be they'd head back down to Corangamite to breed, but Mud
Islands is a possibility too.

Cheers,

Peter

Sent by:
06/09/2006 08:13 AM

cc

Subject
Re: [Birding-Aus] Pelicans over Altona, Victoria

Just a comment regarding Australian Pelican breeding in Victoria.  I have
been compiling breeding information on the species for se Australia.

To date Pelicans have been reported breeding at 11 sites across the state.

 French Island in Western Port Bay and Mud Islands in Port Phillip Bay are

the closest Pelican breeding sites to Melbourne with the next nearest site

at Lake Corangamite.  In recent years both the Corangamite and French
Island sites have not recorded any nesting but Mud Islands have a near
continuous record from the early 1980s.

In Victoria Pelicans appear to only regularly use 2 - 3 sites for breeding

with some sites being used just once eg. Lake Hindmarsh in nw Victoria in
1966-1967.

Should anyone observe or suspect breeding by Pelicans, then this should be

reported immediately to myself or the nearest office of the Department of
Sustainability and Environment (136 186).

cheers

Martin O'Brien
Wildlife Biologist - Threatened Species & Communities Section
Department of Sustainability and Environment
2/8 Nicholson St. (PO Box 500),
East Melbourne  3002
VICTORIA