birding-aus

Favourite Sewage Farms

To: <>
Subject: Favourite Sewage Farms
From: "Kingfisher Park Birdwatchers Lodge" <>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 07:55:39 +1000
Hi Sean,

This has been an idea of ours for a long time - Australian Sewage Farms for
Birdwatchers. Never quite got round to putting anything on paper so will be
great if you can. Only problem nowadays is whether or not you are allowed in
any more! So here are our favourites

Sanderson - Darwin   We spent years here surveying in the mangroves at the
back and have fond memories of many unusual birds for Darwin which turned
up. Yes Crocodiles do get in there, we have seen several in the ponds which
have been remove for worker safety!
Palmerston - Darwin   Also surveyed here when they they were first used. 1st
record of Pintail Snipe for NT here. Also Crocodile in ponds here as well
Mount Isa -  Heaps of birds and a great location.
Alice Springs  - The most birdwatcher friendly sewage farm a few years ago
(not sure now) and what scenery.
Winton - A great place in an unexpected location.
Weipa - Spotted Whistling Ducks, say no more!
Northern Treatment Works, Cairns - Can come up with some interesting birds
like Radjah Shelducks.
Southern Treatment Works, Cairns - Pied Herons pop up here quite regularly.
Crows Nest near Toowomba - small but good birds here.

Haven't mentioned Werribee because we haven't been there - a treat in store.

Lindsay & Keith.

Keith & Lindsay Fisher
RN 6 Mt. Kooyong Road
Julatten QLD 4871