birding-aus

Favourite Sewage Farms

To: Dave Torr <>
Subject: Favourite Sewage Farms
Date: Wed, 3 May 2006 08:35:40 +0800
I've only ever visited two Sewage Farms but they deserve mention.

Broome, where one day I thought to myself, "That's a weird looking duck."  I
realised a few minutes later that I was watching an Asian Dowitcher.  Being
close to Roebuck Bay and next to a Golf course you've got a lot of different
environments which attract a good variety of birds.  And thick in the air are
black kites, whistling kites and sea eagles.  The ponds can be easily viewed
from the surrounding road but access into it can be tough.  Last I heard they
required you to wear high visibility gear, great for sneaking up on birds!  I
think there were also plans to build a viewing platform.

Derby.  I actually didn't see as much of Derby sewage works as I'd have liked
to due to inclement weather, but it's been designed for accessibility.

Belinda, Perth