birding-aus

windfarms and Barren Grounds

To: "Tim Murphy" <>
Subject: windfarms and Barren Grounds
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 07:15:19 +1000
Geothermal is also promising. Wind and solar (and tidal) all have the
problem of being intermittent and thus need storage - one way is to build a
few dams and pump water uphill when there is surplus energy and release it
via a generator when there is a shortage. ALready done in a few places, but
I don't think we want to flood anywhere else now!

We need to expand research not just into "alternative" energy sources but
also ways to store energy produced at peak times from these sources and also
into ways to reduce energy consumption - whether by better insulation, more
efficient cars etc. There's no easy solution and I suspect that there will
be a lot of heated debates (and dead OBPs!) before we get to the other end.