birding-aus

windfarms and Barren Grounds

Subject: windfarms and Barren Grounds
From: "Dave Torr" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 15:04:59 +1000
I think your message was truncated, but you raise an interesting point
about birds in urban environments. The US Fish and Wildlife Service
(quoted in HBW Vol 10 Page 618) estimates 5 to 50 MILLION bird deaths
a year by hitting buildings in the US. As we have maybe 1/15th of the
US population I would expect the figures to be reduced by around that
amount here - but that still makes 300,000 plus a year. If that is
really true - and of course there are also the deaths through road
kill etc - then a windfarm probably has a fairly small effect -
although of course more "targeted" at different species who would
avoid urban areas.