birding-aus

windfarms and Barren Grounds

To: "michael hunter" <>, "Evan Beaver" <>
Subject: windfarms and Barren Grounds
From: "Peter Madvig" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:33:32 +1000
Hi all,
I found them all over Denmark, and visually not much of a problem....but that is of course according to my taste (de gustibus non disputandum est). Effort is being made to have most of them now in distinct "wind-farms", i.e. in concentrated areas, as opposed to lots of single ones all over the place. The Danish ornithological bodies are pretty powerful lobbyists, but I'm not aware of reports of significant birdstrikes...lots of raptors for instance migrate over DK. However, I shall make enquiries, so will advise if I'm mistaken.
I'm told, the power generated for that small country is significant!!

Research on alternative power sources is imperative, and windfarms so far provide one of the best answers. IF there are bird-strike problems, then it is equally in the interest of the manufacturers and users, as well as naturalists, to find a solution. That's worth an effort........!

Cheers,
Peter Madvig