birding-aus

Your birding vehicle

To: Graham Etherington <>, <>
Subject: Your birding vehicle
From: David Stowe Photography <>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 09:02:49 +1100
Hi Graham
I own and love my 2000 Toyota Prado (Diesel). I do agree that for most
people a Subaru Forester or Outback would be adequate. I however do like to
get further off the beaten track when possible to places such as Fraser
Island, Simpson Desert, Victorian High Country, Cape York QLD , Kimberley
region Western Australia etc. It has much greater ability in true off road
situations obviously, and with the diesel returns 11 or 12 L/100km. It has
heaps of space for longer camping trips (fridge etc) and has been
exceptionally reliable. I also have a snorkel for deeper creek crossings
(Cape York/Kimberley). As far as the big 4WDs go I don't need the even
bigger size of a Landcruiser or Patrol. If you wanted one of these a diesel
is again going to be far more economical. Patrols are great but the 3.0L
diesel (the pick of the engines) has a bad reputation for expiring much
earlier than it should. The new Cruiser diesels are magnificent but very
expensive - if you were buying new the extra cost of the diesel engine would
take along time to overcome with the petrel's worse economy.
But as everyone is aware, car choice is a very personal one and you are the
one that needs to be happy. If you don't think you will use the off road
ability then a Subaru would be a much better compromise.

Cheers
David
Sydney

PS - Laurie -Did you get up to the tip along the telegraph road or the
development road in your Subaru? How about Iron Range?
Cheers
DAve