birding-aus

migrants

To: Keith Brandwood <>
Subject: migrants
From: Penny Brockman <>
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2005 18:22:58 +1000
Dear Keith and all
What I really enjoy about Australian birds is that they are always turning up where they "shouldn't" be, or they are not where they "ought" to be. Keeps you on your toes Here in Gloucester, we have so far had no real winter. A few mild throsts back in May, lots of rain and very warm days. I have noticed in the alst few days Little Ravens, Magpies and Red-wattle Birds collecting nesting material, the Satin Bower-bird is very busy at his bower, making all sorts of wonderful noises and there are several green birds in attendance after around 2 months of almost no activity.

The Magpies are also still conducting ferocious warfare with either reluctant-to leave-progeny or invasions from outsiders. Last week what I guess is the boss female had another female on the ground, bills locked, rolling around on the nature strip and into the gutter, watched by an adult male and two immatures, who joined in carolling and an occasional peck but eventually lost interest and wandered off foraging, while the two female continued the battle. Eventually the intruding and what looked like a younger female (still a bit grey around the body) freed herself and took off with the older female in close pursuit.

3 Pied Butcherbirds were singing and display flying yesterday, a really wonderful sight and sound for nearly 30 minutes - they are deafening when heard close-to. I guess this activity will come to a halt when we get some real frosts, if we do - who knows what is happening with the climate. The ground is still sodden from last week's rain - wish it would go to Warragamba.

Keith Brandwood wrote:

Hi every one, Penny, I dont think we can say that certain species are not migrants just because a couple decide to stay in there summer range. As I reported last week on this list I have three Rufous Whistlers staying in my back yard, but I bet no one else can go out and find another one in the Sydney area
keith b the beautiful Hawkesbury 60km N/W of Sydney