birding-aus

migrants

To: "'Keith Brandwood'" <>, "'birdingaus'" <>
Subject: migrants
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:23:39 +1000

Hi Keith et al

I believe Scarlet Honeyeaters regularly spend the winter in Sydney on most if not all years (and sometime in good numbers), though they are more numerous in summer when the paper barks etc are in blossom and they sing beautifully. In winter I notice them when they usually just make a soft tiss..tiss..tiss call from the canopy where they are not obvious, and once learnt, you realise how more common they are. In winter you often find them in the flowering Mugga Ironbarks, Spotted and Forest Red Gums and the introduced red-flowering coral trees.

Edwin