birding-aus

Common Myna

To: "bird" <>
Subject: Common Myna
From: "Bill Stent" <>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2005 08:26:41 +1000
Hmm, I think that chloroform might be OK, if expensive, but using carbon
dioxide, which is a lot cheaper, might be less than humane.  Knowing
what CO2 does to humans - bringing on the "gasp" reflex, which is very
stressful and quickly gives rise to panic - is it right to surmise that
it might do the same to mynas?  If this is the case, then despite what
the RSPCA is reported to have said, I would have serious reservations
about using this gas.  Another gas that is cheap and does not cause this
reaction would be preferable.  I'm not a biologist, but an economist,
but would nitrogen be more humane?  Carbon monoxide?

Bill