birding-aus

RE: Swarovski vs Leica

To: "Birding-aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: RE: Swarovski vs Leica
From: Lawrie Conole <>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 10:36:42 +1100
I'm not sure why I'm weighing into this debate - it really is all about personal preferences after all. There are technical differences between the various makers, but I suspect many of our eyes have trouble distinguishing them!

I've owned a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42 WB bins for about five years now. I've tried them out in a large variety of environments, for both professional and personal use, etc. - and I think they are the best value for money purchase I ever made. When I first got them I was doing fairly detailed foraging observation work on birds in the Murray River forests of northern Victoria - scorching heat and dryness for summer, going through to bitter cold and damp in winter. They excelled in all light conditions - particularly good in dull light, partly because of the large exit pupil - which I have on occasion likened to birding with an IMAX screen. :-) I have taken them overseas a few times (Malaysia, Uzbekistan/Kyrgyzstan, Western Europe) - again, always crisp and reliable. The polyurethane barrelled SLCs are very heavy compared to the magnesium barrelled ELs, but here's that personal preference again - I like heavy bins - easier to hold steady in my hands. I like the barrel moulding too - they feel good to hold for long periods.

I recently dropped them on a hard surface for the first time, and my heart was in my mouth as I picked them up. No problem - I broke the pin in the twist-up eye cup on one side - the optics were fine. They were still useable, though part of they eyecup seemed sure to fall off during a scrub bash somewhere! The replacement eyecup cost $20 ($25 mailed) - all fixed now.

I've tried a few of the competitors - Leica, Zeiss, Minox, Kowa, Nikon - and found them all somewhat difficult to adjust to in a short time. The Minox and Nikon bins were definitely not as sharp, and I often had trouble lining up my eyes with the narrow exit image of the Nikons. We have two pairs of Nikon here at work (Monarch and Sporter??), but I find them unpleasant to use, except for the odd quick glance at something. For long periods of serious scanning and observation, the Swarovskis are unbeatable (IMHO). I even loan them to our botanists from time to time, so they can examine /Eucalyptus /fruits high in the canopy for tree ID - they rate them very highly as well.

Back then they were on special, and cost me about AUD$1,750. At the time it seemed like a lot of money, but as they were largely for professional use that seemed OK. I've never regretted buying them for a second, and now suffer withdrawal symptoms without them!

--
*Lawrie Conole

Get Thunderbird! <http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&id=0&t=178>