birding-aus

Buff-breasted button-quail

To: Tom Tarrant <>
Subject: Buff-breasted button-quail
From: Michael Todd <>
Date: Sun, 16 Jan 2005 16:38:06 +1100
Hello Tom,

Fair comment. However, I didn't say that there wasn't any poaching. I just said that in my opinion poaching is not a serious threat to Australia's buttonquail. On a local scale poaching could affect populations of course. That's not to say that a certain amount of caution isn't warranted. I was careful not to widely publicise places where I used to see Chestnut-backed Buttonquail in the NT in the late 90's. There was probably very little risk of them being poached but I figured it was better to be safe than sorry.

I just think that poaching gets bandied out about as the cause of species declines all the time and I reckon its usually insignificant in Australia compared to habitat loss and habitat change that is running out of control. Poaching is even less likely to be a problem with relatively unpopular birds like quail.

Of course, if someone tells me about an organised Buff-breasted Buttonquail smuggling operation I'll have to review my opinion!

Cheers

Mick