birding-aus

Possible Black-tailed Gull, Toorbul, SEQld

To: Andy Burton <>
Subject: Possible Black-tailed Gull, Toorbul, SEQld
From: Jill Dening <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 18:32:25 +1000
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your message. I hope that it gets itself sorted out quickly. I don't have time to look for it myself, but it seems plenty of others are willing to give it a go. As for Kelp Gull, the odd vagrant has appeared in this region, but very rarely, too. In fact I saw one myself way back around 1990. I agree that it's a more likely species, but I
have no opinion on this one, as I didn't see it. Phil Cross was
uncertain about this one.

As for the clouding of judgment, I agree. I keep telling new birders
that they should always assume it's a common bird in a different form, rather than assume it's a rare species, and work from that position. I remember my adrenalin levels hitting the roof one day many years ago
when I discovered a new wader (3 of them). Well, let's say I couldn't
find it in the field guide. I was trying to be so careful, but I admit my heart was racing. What where they? They were juvenile Black-winged
Stilts. I had never seen them breeding before.

Cheers,
Jill

Jill Dening
Sunshine Coast, Queensland