birding-aus

RE: Wedge Tailed Eagle feeding or fighting?

To: Colin Driscoll <>, Birding-aus <>, Jon Wren <>
Subject: RE: Wedge Tailed Eagle feeding or fighting?
From: Len Ezzy <>
Date: Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:04:35 +1000
Hi Jon

Re:- Wedgies on Abbot Point Rail and Road

We are both referring to the same area here, and probably the same birds.

Maybe I could have been more specific with my English in the "Drongo" story, but
lets face it, it is a story and not a report.   I'd say that was another late
night compilation and probably way past my bedtime.

Yes, they were fighting, not actually aimed at each other, but in a harassing
mode in an effort of competition to get onto the carcass.  They could have been
more hungry than the ten you observed waiting for their turn to feast.  What I
did note though, and which detail I didn't include in the story, was that they
were not all fighting simultaneously to get to the food.  There was only ever
one
bird on top of the carcass.  A couple would try and stealth up to steal a bite,
then the dominant bird would react with screams and wings outstretched and with
an aggression that could kill.  It was enough to set the others reeling and
wheeling away.  There was never any mass "talloning" or biting etc between the
group.  Just looked like a squabble over dinner.  There would always be a couple
or three that would wait patiently nearby.

Hope that helps clarify the scene.

Cheers

Len Ezzy
Townsville