birding-aus

Possible Black-tailed Gull, Toorbul, SEQld

To: Jill Dening <>
Subject: Possible Black-tailed Gull, Toorbul, SEQld
From: Andy Burton <>
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 2004 13:16:06 +1000

Jill,

A word of warning,

some years ago I observed a sub-adult gull at
Penrhyn Rd, Botany Bay in Sydney and I considered
the possibility that it might have been a
Black-tailed Gull.

Word quickly spread and people with better
knowledge of this species than me confirmed
Black-tailed Gull. Allan Richards remained
cynical about this sighting and we re-evaluated
the field guides and other literature. It became
obvious that we were in fact looking at a 3rd or
4th year Kelp Gull.

At times the lure of the rarity can cloud our
judgement; I know, because occasionally I  have
been in the  same clouds.

Having said all of that, here's hoping that your
really is a Black-tailed  Gull.

regards, Andy

Hi Everyone,
It's been such a long time since I posted. I was
unsubscribed for quite a while, but have been
lurking on the list for the past few weeks.
However, a call this evening brings me to the
fore. Linda Cross has asked me to post.

A possible Black-tailed Gull: it needs further
scrutiny, so off you go. At this stage that's
what the punters are going for. I'm disappointed
that I didn't see it, but I was busy conducting
a community event to convince the locals to
support us in our endeavours to build another
artificial shorebird roost. Linda and Phil Cross
were there to help with the event, by showing
locals the birds through a scope. The bird was
roosting on the southernmost of the Toorbul
roosts with other shorebirds and terns. I
understand when it flew, it went north.

Phil has looked up his books since he and Judy
Coles saw it this afternoon, and to him it
appears like a second year Black-tailed Gull,
but Phil is reluctant to call it just yet. I
hope I have this right, it lacked a red spot
(Linda didn't say where, and I assume she means
on the tip of the bill). Phil didn't see a black
tail, but Judy Coles did, and she is pretty
certain that's what it is.

Toorbul is an isolated village on the mainland
side of the Pumicestone Passage two or three kms
north of the Bribie Bridge. Access from the
Bruce Highway, next exit north of the Bribie
Island/Caboolture turnoff. An hour from the
centre of Brisbane. Other suggested places to
look for it are the Kakadu Beach wader roost,
Buckleys Hole and the foreshore of SW Bribie
where Trevor Ford seems to spend a lot of time
in cafés eating and birdwatching.

Cheers,
Jill

Jill Dening