birding-aus

Birdwatching from cafes

Subject: Birdwatching from cafes
From: Carol Probets <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 11:18:39 +1000
Trevor Ford wrote:
Jill Dening implies that I spend a lot of time birdwatching from cafes. This
is only partly true as I often get take-aways. But there are some good
new-ish eateries on Bribie..... etc.

Living in Katoomba, it's almost impossible to escape the burgeoning cafe culture. I reckon Katoomba has more cafes per head of population than just about any town in Australia. I've become more self-disciplined and only eat out occasionally these days, and instead of sipping coffee I sip fresh juices which makes me feel more virtuous. Anyway, what's all this got to do with birds? Plenty, as many of the Blue Mountains eateries provide the opportunity to watch some interesting species. Most notable would be the Conservation Hut Cafe at Wentworth Falls with its resident Grey Currawongs and other bush birds.

Even the cafes in the heart of Katoomba turn up some pretty good sightings. I used to sit in Cafe Zuppa and watch the Peregrine sitting atop the tall Carrington chimney stack, eyeing off all the town pigeons. The Peregrine no longer favours this lofty perch (especially since a flag has been placed there), but is still seen flashing across the skies from time to time. Just the other day I was in Fresh cafe and saw a Peregrine whoosh past scarcely above the heads of shoppers. And it's quite common to see groups of Yellow-tailed Black-Cockatoos majestically sailing over the shopping centre.

What are the best birds other readers have seen from cafes?

Carol

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in any of the businesses listed in this email.

Carol Probets
Katoomba
Blue Mountains NSW