birding-aus

Black-tailed Gull, Double-banded Plover and frequent flyers

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Black-tailed Gull, Double-banded Plover and frequent flyers
From: "Trevor Ford" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 02:07:49 +1000
G'day,

My phone and pc have been overheating again with folk asking about the
reported Black-tailed Gull. (nobody asked me about the Letter-winged Kite!)
Well, I've spoken at length to one of the observers of the bird in question,
and I am as convinced as he is that it might or might not be. My opinion is
that probably it is not, but then I didn't see it. What I do know is that it
was looked for extensively today between Toorbul and Donnybrook, and also on
Bribie Island - with no success. I won't reply to everyone individually but
I do hope that this is read by Tony Russell in time. Rest assured that if I
hear or see anything more I shall report back. If a Black-tailed Gull
appears within the gull roost at Buckley's Hole, and I manage to see it
before it is disturbed by walkers as the gulls and terns were today (and are
most days), I shall inform everyone who has shown an interest in the birds
of Buckley's Hole. I jest? I will, of course, not shoot it in order to gain
BARC acceptance.

I hadn't seen Double-banded Plovers locally this year before today, although
I've heard reports of the odd one. Normally, I would expect to see them at
least a month before now, and all in their attractive golden-brown plumage.
Today I found 12 birds, and they were in a mix of this usual plumage, part
breeding plumage, and full breeding plumage (I wouldn't expect this until
late July / August). What's happening?

Jill Dening implies that I spend a lot of time birdwatching from cafes. This
is only partly true as I often get take-aways. But there are some good
new-ish eateries on Bribie. Mad Hatters has been taken over by a South
African family and must be the best value lunch on the island (try their SA
specialities). They are also close to the Bellara duckpond, which provides
excellent photographic opportunities of the commoner waterfowl, as is the
Big Bun bakery and their excellent fresh rolls and pies. Near Buckley's Hole
is the Bongaree Delhi which has wonderful foccacia and turkish bread, but
the best coffee, just, is to be found at Gloria Jean's, not far from the
most reliable spot on the island for Little Woodswallow. They all give
frequent flyer points.

Again, the above address as it is for outgoing email only.

Cheers - Trevor Ford.