birding-aus

Terrible birding moment

To: <>, <>
Subject: Terrible birding moment
From: "Val Ford" <>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 08:30:43 +1000
Thanks for the note Peter.

I had been following the Bassian Thrush thread but decided in the stress of
the moment to post under Terrible birding moment because of my Magic birding
moments posting on the 3/5.

I have just looked back through my inadequate records and can't find out
what time of the year I saw a Bassian Thrush in the garden previously.  The
only other one I have seen in nearby areas - all coastal dune vegetation -
was on 4/10/03.  Of course as we know that as they are always difficult to
see unless out in the open it doesn't mean that they are not always around.
However it does tie in with the reports of them moving into different
habitats at this time of the year.

My bird was not necessary accident prone.  It was more my fault as I didn't
close the curtains when requested to my non birding partner!!

And as Rohan wrote "As horrible as this incident is if the specimen can find
its way to the Victorian museum I'm sure it would prove to be a valuable
addition to the collection" I now don't feel quite so stressed out.

Cheers
Val