birding-aus

Terrible birding moment

To: "Val Ford" <>, "BIRDING-AUS (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Terrible birding moment
From: "Rohan Clarke" <>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 17:52:33 +1000
Val,
As horrible as this incident is if the specimen can find its way to the
Victorian museum I'm sure it would prove to be a valuable addition to the
collection. If this is feasible the best way to store it before it heads off to
the museum is form a cylinder out of a rolled piece of cardboard so that the
bird just fits snugly in it without its head or tail pocking out either end.
Then place this in a plastic bag (or three). The cardboard tube prevents the
feathers getting broken either in the freezer or in transit. Write on a piece
of paper (in pencil as it wont run then if it gets wet) "For the Vic Museum"
followed by the date, the location, how it died and your name and add this to
the bag. Next time your in Melbourne call the Vic Museum and ask to speak to
either Wayne Longmore or Rory O'Brien and drop the bird into them.

Specimens are routinely used for all sorts of worthwhile research (there have
been numerous discussions on birding-aus in the past) and the more 'accidental
deaths' that find their way into museums the fewer justifications there are for
ever collecting live birds for the same purpose.

Regards
Rohan

Dr Rohan Clarke
Threatened Mallee Bird Project