birding-aus

Norfolk Island White-chested White-eye

To: "Mike Carter" <>, "Tony Russell" <>, "Whittaker, Mark" <>, "BIRDING-AUS" <>, "Michael & Penny Hunter" <>, "Steve Clark" <>
Subject: Norfolk Island White-chested White-eye
From: Helen Horton <>
Date: Wed, 12 May 2004 14:14:35 +1000
Mike and others

Re the White-chested White-eye on Norfolk Island, I just wanted to say that after a visit to the island last November, I had some communication with the ranger or project officer in charge of rare and threatened species on the island and he said he had seen the White-chested White-eye only twice in the last three years. His sightings were, I think, genuine ones - someone working full time in the field on the island, and so perhaps one should not write the bird off entirely yet.

The above-mentioned communication came about because I had seen a strange bird that was not a Silvereye and not a Slender-billed White-eye, but a very definite white-eye. I described what I had seen and asked for their advice as to its identity. I was very wary of claiming to have seen a rare bird, especially one that was totally new to me, but this bird was quite distinctly not one of the other two, and just as distinctly a white-eye.

This was on a Qld Naturalists' Club trip to the island and we have sent records of our sightings to the Bird Atlas - at their request- and with these I included an unusual record form with details of this bird, again with description and details.

I appreciate your skepticism, Mike, I'm a skeptic myself in such cases. I would dearly love to have seen it again, or for someone else to have seen it too (I was by myself). Have given it a great deal of thought, and am happy to use the NI rangers' words that it was 'probably' a sighting.

Have to say, though, that it is a little memory that I now hug to myself with a modicum of pleasure.

Yours

Helen Horton