birding-aus

Owlet Nightjars

To: <>
Subject: Owlet Nightjars
From: "Mark Newton - Adelaide, SA" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 16:02:17 +1030
Oops, always forget to hit 'reply to all' when I respond to a post on this
list, so here I go again....

as I said to Bob, I spent last night camped in mallee out near Danggali CP,
and was lucky enough to have an owlet-nightjar turn up in camp.  Spent its
time darting about the ground, flying from spot to spot, but always
remaining just above ground until it took off properly.  These birds can be
seen quite commonly in the mallee if you drive a vehicle about the tracks
nice and slowly. They remain still on the track with the headlights in their
eyes and you can walk right up to them.

Heaps of bats active last night, never seen so many in one spot.

Cheers
Mark