birding-aus

Glossy Ibis outter SE Mlebourne

Subject: Glossy Ibis outter SE Mlebourne
From: "Tim Bawden" <>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 04:55:01 +0000
Hi all

Was driving between sites for work in Hallam  (near dandenong SE Melbourne) on
Tuesday afternoon and saw a bird in a paddock out of the corner of my eye. Was
going to dismiss it as one of the purple swamphens that normally hang out there
but something seemed a bit wrong. Rather than plow off the road into a ditch at
80 kph while trying to get a better look I eventually turned the car around and
came back and sure enough it was a single glossy ibis poking round in the
grass. This is the first I have seen in Victoria outside the WTP (not that
thats saying much). It was near some White and straw necked Ibis but did not
appear to be associating with them. It was in what i believe is called
Frogshollow reserve between Heatherton Road and the Hallam Bypass if anyone is
interested.  I have however not seen it on the past two days.

Another interesting suburban sighting was a barn owl ghosting across the south
eastern arterial in the wee small hours of the morning a few weeks ago. I seem
to have my best luck with owls while returning from parties it would seem.

Good birding all
Tim