birding-aus

Query re Barking Owl calls

Subject: Query re Barking Owl calls
From: "Paul Mahoney" <>
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 21:57:01 +1100
Two nights ago I heard a Barking Owl doing it's screaming woman call. This was answered by a cricket-like 'chirp' similar to a dependent Boobook's call.

Books that I have referred to do mention chattering calls for Barking Owls - is this 'chirp' restricted to dependent young like in Boobooks or do all Barking Owls make this call? Is this sufficient evidence of breeding activity in the area?

It also strikes me as being very late in summer for young to be dependent, although my observations are that breeding was generally late in other species due to the dry winter / spring.

The owls were also doing the more traditional 'woof-woof' call later in the night (earlier in the morning).