birding-aus

Maroubra Sea watch - 7th March 2004

To: <>
Subject: Maroubra Sea watch - 7th March 2004
From: "Edwin Vella" <>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 21:52:37 +1100
Yesterday (Sunday) morning, David Mitford and I did a seawatch from Maroubra with the expectation that the recent stormy weather may cause some of the more tropical species to flow down the east coast but despite this not happening, we did see a number of interesting species. The bird of the morning was a Long-tailed Jaeger within 30 metres from shore and like Dion's bird, spending quite some time loathing on the ocean surface. We also saw plenty of the other Jaegers (especially Pomarine) going past with several quite close to shore (mainly Arctic as usual identified with their more "falcon" like flight, less barrell chest, longer and more slender wings and smaller head).

Beside the Jaegers, there were the expected flow of Shearwaters with at least 4 species seen and possibly also a Streaked Shearwater flying away from us in the gloom of the rain belts. There were also several Australasian Gannets as well, mainly heading south.

Species and minimum numbers seen were as follows:

Wedge-tailed Shearwater (500)
Fleshy-footed Shearwater (4)
Short-tailed Shearwater (30)
Streaked Shearwater (1 possible flying away in the distance)
Fluttering Shearwater (3)
Australasian Gannet (20)
Little Pied Cormorant (1)
Little Black Cormorant (2)