birding-aus

Daft New Bird Listings

To: "Harry Clarke" <>, <>
Subject: Daft New Bird Listings
From: "belles" <>
Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 09:33:02 +1000
Who makes a decision about wildlife being "threatened"? We have Yellow Bellied Gliders that are "threatened" but the council and National Parks wont do anything to stop chopping down a tree that had 3 Yellow Bellied Gliders in it. These 3 luckily weren't in the tree when it was cut down but they now have no food source, they are living in another hollow tree. Someone asked me how do they become threatened.....or extinct soon if they keep clearing the land. We (a wildlife group) seem to have no say in trying to save these threatened species?? The same with the Powerful Owl, how do we stop land developers from killing all our wildlife. They haven't made any corridors for the wildlife, birds as well are losing their homes. It is so unfair. People are buying small acreages and are clearing the lot???

Marian