birding-aus

Daft New Bird Listings

Subject: Daft New Bird Listings
From: Harry Clarke <>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2003 20:21:26 +1000

Martin O'Brien states that

·         Terek sandpiper

·         & Scarlet-chested parrot

have just been listed as 'threatened' under the FFG Act for Victoria and that now 'management plans' must be developed for them.

I assume that the parrots are occasionally observed in the far north-west corner of the state and that the sandpipers turn up as vagrants on Victorian coastline from time-to-time.

I wonder what conceivably useful 'management plan' can be devised for these species in Victoria (conserve mallee, conserve tidal mudflats?) and what the payoff from such effort might be. I guess that preparing such plans might give some consulting work for out-of-work birdos and that it almost certainly gives paper-shufflers in the bureaucracy something to file.

But given the very real conservation problems facing mammals and various bird species that do normally reside in the state one wonders if this isn't just a ludicrous waste of resources.

It also suggests that the FFG alone is blinkered and inflexible when it comes to sensibly prioritising conservation efforts.

To be clear I am not criticising Martin’s report – he has been providing lots of info in this thread that really interests me. I am just surprised that things are being done as simplistically as they are being done. There must be a better approach.

Harry Clarke